Greenbelt Panorama: Subdivisions
Greenbelt has many housing developments beyond the original GHI row houses and garden apartments in the city center. Here are photos from some of them.
Greenbelt Homes, Inc. (GHI) is well known for its 1,600 townhouse units. It is less known that GHI also contains 9 freestanding houses: 5 from 1938 and 4 from 1969. This photo was taken on Woodland Way and shows one of 5 1938 houses on the right and one of 4 1969 houses on the left.
Ten single-family, steel-frame houses were built in 1938 along Forestway. These are called Parkbelt Homes and were never part of GHI. 7 Forestway, shown here, is the most intact of the ten. The brick section on the right with a chimney is a later addition.
Lakeside (1954-1960s) is a group of single-family houses on Lakeside Drive, just south of Greenbelt Lake. Note two houses with solar panels on their roof.
Woodland Hills (1957) is a subdivision of single-family houses along Woodland Way and Northway.
Lakewood (1958) is a subdivision of single-family houses along Greenhill Road.
Boxwood Village (1965) is a subdivision of single-family houses along Lastner Lane and streets that connect with it.
Lakeside North (1965) is an apartment complex between Boxwood Village and Kenilworth Avenue, just north of the Greenbelt Police Department and Greenbelt Animal Shelter.
University Square Apartments (1966) is an apartment complex between GHI homes and Greenbelt Road. University of Maryland shuttle buses go through here and the complex is home to many college students. The community pool is shown on the right.
Charlestowne Village (1965) is a townhome community by Lakecrest Drive, between University Square Apartments and Belle Point.
Charlestowne North (1966) is an 8-story apartment building overlooking Greenbelt Lake. This is a rare highrise residential building in Greenbelt. Most of the city’s residential units are townhomes and lowrise garden apartments.
Belle Point (1992) is a townhouse community between the Capital Beltway and Charlestowne Village.
Franklin Park (originally known as Springhill Lake, 1962-1970) is an apartment complex in Greenbelt West with 2,900 units, one of the largest on the East Coast.
Greenbriar (1974-80) is a condominium complex in Greenbelt East between Baltimore-Washington Parkway and Hanover Parkway. There are three phases and each has its own Board of Directors.
Glen Oaks is a garden apartment complex in Greenbelt East along Mandan Road, just south of Greenbriar. It is the rental part of the Greenbriar development.
Windsor Green is a townhome community in Greenbelt East south of Greenbelt Road. It was originally called Glen Ora, and the first families moved in in 1977.
Greenwood Village is a townhome community in Greenbelt East at Greenbelt Road and Mandan Road, just east of Eleanor Roosevelt High School. Construction began in 1984, and first families moved in in 1985.
Greenbrook (1987-1989) is in Greenbelt East south of Ora Glen Drive. It consists of rowhouses (Greenbrook Drive) and freestanding houses (Mathew Street, shown here).
Greensprings (1990-1994) is in Greenbelt East with large freestanding “Georgian” houses.
Green Lake Village (1996) is in Greenbelt East between the Capital Beltway and Hanover Parkway. It consists of condominium buildings and a small number of rowhouses, and it is accessed through a gate opposite Schrom Hills Park. In this photo is a small lake, with Beltway sound barriers on the left.
Hunting Ridge (1973-1974) is a condominium complex in Greenbelt East between the Capital Beltway and Hanover Parkway. It was originally outside of Greenbelt city boundaries and was annexed by the city in 1984 at the request of owners.
The best places to read more about Greenbelt’s housing developments are “Greenbelt: History of a New Town” edited by Mary Lou Williamson and a recent essay “Greenbelt, Maryland: Beyond the Iconic Legacy” by two Greenbelt residents and University of Maryland professors Isabelle Gournay and Mary Corbin Sies. The Gournay and Sies essay is included in a book titled “Housing in Washington” (edited by Richard Longstreth) and the University of Maryland’s Maryland Room has a copy.