Greenbelt’s Original Pedestrian Underpasses
Pedestrian underpasses separate pedestrian traffic from automobile traffic and are important elements of Greenbelt’s design. Five underpasses were built in the original town, four under Crescent Road and one near the
Junior Rural High School.
Underpass near Greenbelt Library under Crescent Road
South side of the underpass, with a large playground
North side of the underpass. These kids are going to play basketball at the Youth Center.
Underpass at the Roosevelt Center
North side of the underpass. Michael Jawer of the Greenbelt Public Works Department blows leaves after Hurricane Sandy.
South side of the underpass
Underpass at Gardenway
A resident walks home through the Gardenway underpass after shopping at the Co-op.
The Gardenway underpass at night
The underpass at Hillside Road, by the Greenbelt Community Church, was blocked by a fallen tree after Hurricane Sandy.
Robert Tripe of Greenbelt Public Works Department cleans up after Hurricane Sandy in front of the Hillside Road underpass.
The underpass under Edmonston Road near the original
Junior Rural High School, now Greenbelt Middle School. Completed in 1938, the Junior Rural High School was about a mile west of the city center halfway between elementary schools in Greenbelt and Berwyn. There was a trail going from the west side of Greenbelt Lake to the school, and this was where the trail passed under Edmonston Road.
East side of the underpass. The trail from Greenbelt Lake to the Middle School has been cut off by Kenilworth Avenue (MD 201) and the Capital Beltway, and this underpass is no longer in use. It has been closed off on both sides by metal fences.
Trees have grown under the underpass.
West side of the Edmonston Road underpass
The old trail that leads to the underpass is no longer visible. Immediately adjacent to it is an office park (Greenbelt Professional Center).
The four underpasses under Crescent Road are in active use. Those under Ridge Road were not built due to cost concerns.